Early Access ALPHA 1.3 is now live. Includes Act 1 of 3 for the game, made up of 7 full environments including the rooftop for you to explore. 212121! viewforum.php?f=157

How much of ARG V1 made it into the Consortium info console?

Topics and posts about the ongoing online iDGi-1 Alternate Reality Game that started on January 2010. Please be civil. Major trolls may be banned without notice!
FordGT90Concept
Flag: United States of America

How much of ARG V1 made it into the Consortium info console?

Post by FordGT90Concept » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:10 am

A lot of what I'm reading in Consortium looks familiar. I'm not talking the long winded conversations with Malcolm/Alvarez. I'm talking the articles like the Greenberg experiments. Or are they only in Consortium and I'm just confusing myself thinking they were in ARG V1?
Last edited by FordGT90Concept on Sun May 15, 2016 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler

Thriesteve
Consortium Administrator

Re: How much of ARV V1 made it into the Consortium info console?

Post by Thriesteve » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:48 am

Hmmm, not sure what you're asking? Everything that happened in the ARG (whether it's the flash stuff, or the more recent V1 Console) is the history of Consortium. So yes, there are many articles and emails and things that are both in the ARG and within the info console.

The only time the timeline "split" and we saw an alternate version of their world was when their world contacted ours through the iDGi Forums (http://interdimensionalgames.com/discov ... mGuide.zip) and began talking to the public. Tis explained in section 2.4.2 of the Discoveries doc :)
---------------------------
-- Steve MacMartin
- head writer @ iDGi

"The creak of bed springs suffering under the weight of a restless man is as lonely a sound as I know" - Patrick DeWitt (Sisters Brothers)

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:03 am

That leads me to another question that has been bugging me: at what point did the ARGV1 and Consortium timelines diverge? Was it approximately the time of the Great Vancouver Earthquake (2028)?

I'm more after the ARG + Consortium common timeline -> Consortium timeline.
► Show Spoiler

Thriesteve
Consortium Administrator

Post by Thriesteve » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:38 pm

This may turn into a long explanation, but that's a really good question and it deserves a full rundown of the other timeline and that whole pretty confusing part of the ARG story. Keeping in mind to anyone reading, this is deep lore stuff... not exactly necessary information for playing the main games ;)

I think It's better to look at it as an "offshoot storyline" from the main one. Not really important to anything that happens in the main story, and I'll explain why. First, we did the offshoot to show what happens when certain characters are put through extreme uh, situations. Also to demonstrate what happens in their world when we stop being inside Henry as he develops and faces off with Malcolm and other threats. To answer your question, it splits months before the Earthquake (which is something that happens in both timelines btw) in late March, 2028 .... for us it was March, 2010. We then spoke with that timeline for about a year total before losing contact, and our speaking to them ultimately had little effect on what ended up happening to them. It was more of an investigation to find out as much as we could through an extremely low tech connection between us -- and yep yep, these are indeed the long winded convos with Malcolm/Alvarez (it's true, won't deny it!) :)

This was at the point when we were kicked out of their world because Henry had to "reboot and upgrade" (easiest way to explain it) - and then we had no way of returning. No dialing information, nothing coming through the rift. After a little while they started making changes to our internet such as websites altered for various reasons (example: http://johnwilconson.com/ ... it's a wee bit disturbing) until finally they managed to make posts on our old forum (since made into the Thrie's guide). In the end it was Malcolm and Alvarez who contacted us first, and the King was highly impressed they were able to do it by essentially hacking him (he was still kind of a giant goof). A few months into speaking with them through the forum we got our hands on a dialer device/codes from Henry. We assumed the codes would take us to the point in time we were speaking to them on the forum. They badly needed our help as things weren't going so well... but instead when we redialed (the beginning of the V1 Dialer here http://idgi1.net/) we returned to their world a split second after Henry rebooted, back in March 2028. We continued speaking to the split timeline, which completely fell apart, while at the same time forging a new one (this new one being absolutely everything you can find that's not in Thrie's Guide).

Hope this clarifies some things!
---------------------------
-- Steve MacMartin
- head writer @ iDGi

"The creak of bed springs suffering under the weight of a restless man is as lonely a sound as I know" - Patrick DeWitt (Sisters Brothers)

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:08 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful! =D
► Show Spoiler