Early Access ALPHA 1.3 is now live. Includes Act 1 of 3 for the game, made up of 7 full environments including the rooftop for you to explore. 212121! viewforum.php?f=157

My thoughts of The Tower, questions and wishes

Topics and posts about The Tower. Please be civil. Major trolls may be banned without notice!
Jed Parry
Consortium Officer
Flag: Russia

My thoughts of The Tower, questions and wishes

Post by Jed Parry » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:23 am

Hello! I'd like to share my thought about The Tower. Long ramblings ahead!)
Allright. Not I've ever been a very vocal Consortium fan, nor I've ever actually tried Early Access games before, but now, after trying The Tower I feel the strong urge to share my thought with the devs so by the game's full release it improves, because right now I'm kinda confused with the game's current state. Let's say it feels like it's unfortunately lost a lot of it's initial charm and left me hanging in the icy wind. I'd love thins feeling to change.

So, my questions come first, since there's not much information about game out there (if there is, please send me there):
1) If you end up in the brig, is it the ultimate gameover? Does it mean there's no way out of the caged area and the only way to keep playing is to reload a save? Or should we wait for someone to come to us?
2) I can clearly remember you've promised some kind of romances in the second game, at least you've definitely said you've been thinking about it, so, shoud we expect anything like it? By the romance I mean at least talking about (mutual) liking between the characters, sharing their feelings, flirting, etc.
3) I couldn't complete the first tower mission because of the reasons I'll explain below, but my question is: right now there is only one main mission available, right? What does 'Chapter 1' and '7 levels' in the description means? How many chapters the final release is going to have?
4) What does the smiley face next to the enemy's stats mean? The like/dislike, I guess? Is there an effective way to affect it? Because now it's just changing without me even doing anything, just standing there (I don't mean getting hostile by my unhoilstering a weapon).

And now my personal complaints:
1) First and the most painful thing to be changed somehow is a save system. I loved how it's been handled in the first game, when you can save as many times as you want at any point you want. It was utterly the greatest thing! And now you present rare and inconvenient checkpoints with only one save slot? Sir, no, sir! Please give an opportunity to do manual saves, without them the games starts to feel terrible when you have to start allover if you make a mistake or rush to the far checkpoint to save your progress. It's just awful, I hate it with all my gamer's being!
2) The game doesn't give you the clear idea that if you kill everyone it'll be a game over (if it is). It's very weird, like it tells you that if you keep on killing, everyone would hate you for that, but not that it'll be a game over for you. So now I have to start everything all over again because my last (and for some reason only save in the menu) save happened (how? Why? I didn't save then, I did my last save kinda much before my status dropped to 0%) just before K15 said it's all over for me and I ended up in the brig (how did I got there, also? Magically teleported from the tower? Why couldn't I teleport TO the tower instead of jumping to it then?) and have to start all over again.
3) The map, oh man, this 3D map is both a good idea and a terrible mess. At lease make the character marker move visible, probably in another color or something.
4) So, as I've already mentioned, Rambo approach doesn't work very well (to say at least), but I couldn't use stealth efficiently too. In general there are way too many enemies and turrets and very little hints. So some kind of training level is highly recommended, because I land on the top of the tower and feel confused the bad way. The special vision is nice, but kinda inconvenient, so please add some more training and explanation. The game need some kind of introduction besides the short intro while falling, that's for sure.
5) And my last very personal wish: I'd like to see (and/or hear) Keiran if possible! I know now, on The Tower there's no reason for him to contact Bishop 6, but maybe later... He's my favorite character in the game, so you know.)

That's all for the moment, might add some points later. Hope to get the answers, didn't mean to sound too harsh.)
Anyways, I still wholeheartedly support Consortium and look forward for the final release of The Tower like a nightingale is waiting for the spring.) Meanwhile I'll go and do some Consortium fanarts I guess. So inspired! XD

GreatBird
Consortium Administrator
Flag: Canada

Re: My thoughts of The Tower, questions and wishes

Post by GreatBird » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Thank-you so much, Jed Parry, for sharing your honest and candid thoughts on the game as it is now. We deeply appreciate hearing some honest criticism, these kind of posts help us the most! :)
Jed Parry wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:23 am
Hello! I'd like to share my thought about The Tower. Long ramblings ahead!)
Allright. Not I've ever been a very vocal Consortium fan, nor I've ever actually tried Early Access games before, but now, after trying The Tower I feel the strong urge to share my thought with the devs so by the game's full release it improves, because right now I'm kinda confused with the game's current state. Let's say it feels like it's unfortunately lost a lot of it's initial charm and left me hanging in the icy wind. I'd love thins feeling to change.

So, my questions come first, since there's not much information about game out there (if there is, please send me there):
1) If you end up in the brig, is it the ultimate gameover? Does it mean there's no way out of the caged area and the only way to keep playing is to reload a save? Or should we wait for someone to come to us?
Actually, if you wait long enough stuff happens... However there IS a way to avoid getting jailed if you are XO-1ed. You have to meet The Voice first. Point well taken, however, that this isn't clear at all.
Jed Parry wrote:
2) I can clearly remember you've promised some kind of romances in the second game, at least you've definitely said you've been thinking about it, so, shoud we expect anything like it? By the romance I mean at least talking about (mutual) liking between the characters, sharing their feelings, flirting, etc.
I do recall posting about this, and I believe I said "if the context fits, we would do it". The story and narrative is what drives our game at a fundamental level, and the context of The Tower doesn't lend itself well to romances. HOWEVER - we will see about getting in some alignment related convos, so if you're super high with certain characters you can perhaps get flirty, etc. We anticipate having a TON of conversation manager convos like this in the final game.
Jed Parry wrote:
3) I couldn't complete the first tower mission because of the reasons I'll explain below, but my question is: right now there is only one main mission available, right? What does 'Chapter 1' and '7 levels' in the description means? How many chapters the final release is going to have?
I'm assuming here that you mean "Act 1". It represents a solid third of the total content for the final game. It's an introduction to the core mystery behind the tower, some of the main characters and a huge chunk of the explorable area of the Tower itself (a little less than half). The final realease will have 3 Acts. There are multiple missions available in Act 1. 3 squad related missions, plus all of the Consortium related objectives and a few surprises.
Jed Parry wrote:
4) What does the smiley face next to the enemy's stats mean? The like/dislike, I guess? Is there an effective way to affect it? Because now it's just changing without me even doing anything, just standing there (I don't mean getting hostile by my unhoilstering a weapon).
A common question that we'll be addressing in a tutorial at some point soon. That is the Agitation meter. The higher the number, the more likely they are to engaging in combat with you. The best way to affect it is to either open a dialog with them (this will dramatically slow the rate of increase), or avoid the AI entirely (out of sight, out of mind). It goes up because of the tension of them not knowing how to deal with you, unsure of your intentions.
Jed Parry wrote:
1) First and the most painful thing to be changed somehow is a save system. I loved how it's been handled in the first game, when you can save as many times as you want at any point you want. It was utterly the greatest thing! And now you present rare and inconvenient checkpoints with only one save slot? Sir, no, sir! Please give an opportunity to do manual saves, without them the games starts to feel terrible when you have to start allover if you make a mistake or rush to the far checkpoint to save your progress. It's just awful, I hate it with all my gamer's being!
Unfortunately, due to the extreme complexity of our game, the new engine we're using (UE4) and our small team, this is not going to change. The first game had saving all the time because the system came with the engine we were using (the Source engine). Choosing when to save your Universe is now a very key decision, and every time you venture out into the world after saving, there is a lot of risk involved. We can, however, adjust the positioning and number of save spheres.
Jed Parry wrote:
2) The game doesn't give you the clear idea that if you kill everyone it'll be a game over (if it is). It's very weird, like it tells you that if you keep on killing, everyone would hate you for that, but not that it'll be a game over for you. So now I have to start everything all over again because my last (and for some reason only save in the menu) save happened (how? Why? I didn't save then, I did my last save kinda much before my status dropped to 0%) just before K15 said it's all over for me and I ended up in the brig (how did I got there, also? Magically teleported from the tower? Why couldn't I teleport TO the tower instead of jumping to it then?) and have to start all over again.
I smell a potential bug here. You are saying you saved when your public opinion was high, but when you loaded that save, you immediately got XO-1ed?

The XO-1 procedure disables all your gear and knocks you unconscious. Another Bishop was dispatched to retrieve you, bring you up into a C3800 and deposit you in jail.
Jed Parry wrote:
3) The map, oh man, this 3D map is both a good idea and a terrible mess. At lease make the character marker move visible, probably in another color or something.
Agreed and noted. The automap (like most everything else) is due for vast usability improvements.
Jed Parry wrote:
4) So, as I've already mentioned, Rambo approach doesn't work very well (to say at least), but I couldn't use stealth efficiently too. In general there are way too many enemies and turrets and very little hints. So some kind of training level is highly recommended, because I land on the top of the tower and feel confused the bad way. The special vision is nice, but kinda inconvenient, so please add some more training and explanation. The game need some kind of introduction besides the short intro while falling, that's for sure.
Yes we've been planning out a tutorial, we know there's a ton of complexity that's tossed onto new players right off the bat.

Rambo approach works very well if you avoid killing. Note the stamina bars of all combatants. When they fall unconscious, you can walk up to them and inject them with nanites to permanently incapacitate them. In the next update, turrets will attack soldiers, which will give you another way to deal with the threats.

What do you mean by the special vision (I assume you mean Tactical mode) is "inconvenient"?
Jed Parry wrote:
5) And my last very personal wish: I'd like to see (and/or hear) Keiran if possible! I know now, on The Tower there's no reason for him to contact Bishop 6, but maybe later... He's my favorite character in the game, so you know.)
Noted!! :)
Jed Parry wrote:
That's all for the moment, might add some points later. Hope to get the answers, didn't mean to sound too harsh.)
Anyways, I still wholeheartedly support Consortium and look forward for the final release of The Tower like a nightingale is waiting for the spring.) Meanwhile I'll go and do some Consortium fanarts I guess. So inspired! XD
Thank-you again for your honest thoughts, it means a lot to us.

Very happy to hear that you're inspired, so you've at least had SOME fun playing?
Do, or do not. There is no try.

-- GreatBird --

Jed Parry
Consortium Officer
Flag: Russia

Re: My thoughts of The Tower, questions and wishes

Post by Jed Parry » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:11 am

GreatBird wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:41 pm
Thanks a lot for answering my questions, it's nice to know that you can ask and actually get the answers! Also it feels good to take part in testing and helping with something that has so much potential as The Tower has. It's the first time I do this and I've decided not to be silent.)
As it's pointed out on Steam store page, The Tower is far from complete, but when it's complete I'm sure it's gonna be something.
Speaking about my personal feelings about the game... At first I felt very confused. I've replayed the first game just before getting The Tower (mainly because I wanted to max Keiran's positive points, it's 20 actually, couldn't find a way to make him like me more than that), and when I started the sequel it didn't feel, how to say... it didn't feel like natural, smooth transition in events between two games. For some reason.
More 'save spheres' please, yes! I'll be frank you you - first I couldn't play The Tower at all! XD A few days after I've decided to try again, with more carefull approach and this timeit got me engrossed (like, 'oh my, should I jetjump there?? would I miss something if I just jetjump there? careful, careful, caaaaareful... Lol, I've actually missed the landing zone!'). And now, with new info you gave I think I'll try again and see where it goes.
Sorry if it all it not very informative from the technical pov, but I play games for, well, feelings (both love and irritation), exploration of new worlds and events - this kind of stuff.) And Consortium series definitely delivers.
BTW, you know what?) There are two kinds of Consortium players: the ones whom Rook 9 likes the most and the ones whom Rook 25 likes the most.) And then there's me with my crush on Rook 13! I don't fit in anywhere, oh man.)
Anyways, thanks again for answers, I might actually add technical issues to this topic later, though I didn't meet many of them.