Early Access ALPHA 1.21 is now live. Includes Act 1 of 3 for the game, made up of 7 full environments including the rooftop for you to explore. 212121! viewforum.php?f=157

Interaction to information console

Topics and posts about The Tower. Please be civil. Major trolls may be banned without notice!
FordGT90Concept
Flag: United States of America

Interaction to information console

Post by FordGT90Concept » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:48 pm

@Vennir suggested this.

She used The Elder Scrolls as an example where you pick up a book and you can read it. At first I didn't like the idea but I thought about it some more...

The problem with TES is that it doesn't keep record of the books you read so you can look at them again in the future. Accurate to the era, the only way to look at it again is to keep one in a library of your own making. Obviously things aren't done the same in 2042 so time to brainstorm...

Ironically enough, Alpha Protocol comes to mind. Remember that really long tutorial/conversation with Westridge (41:25)? He tells you (45:40, unfortunate fast-forwarding is unfortunate) how hearing a name or information will automatically add that information to your dossiers (his example: Westridge likes people getting straight to the point; professional attitude). Not only that, but dossier information can be weaponized in dialogs, often to the effect of taking the target character off guard, potentially even changing their behavior to a significant degree (there's one in my mind right now but it's very spoiler/end game stuff so won't elaborate). Additionally, when information is added to the dossier, it is clearly noted on the screen that the dossier was updated (46:50).

In Consortium, the keywords pop up in the information console, yes, but no indication is given to player to suggest it has;
► Show Spoiler
This ties in strongly to this thread:
Retaining some dialog information through playthroughs

I hope Vennir chimes in here. Other thoughts/suggestions welcomed.

Edit: From the linked thread:
FordGT90Concept wrote:Zombie posting is a bad idea, mmkay? A shame I get my best ideas when I'm <10% awake. XD
Still true! XD
► Show Spoiler

Vennir
Consortium Officer
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Interaction to information console

Post by Vennir » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:28 pm

Oh cool! You made a thread. Sure I'll give my two cents.

One of the biggest problems I had/have with Consortium is the lore is how inaccessible it is; by this I don't mean how readily it's available (because it's right there, always....haha), but rather how it feels like homework (like the first time I picked up Meditations on First Philosophy lol). Personally, I just dislike how information is placed at your feet as if to say "here's the lore, read it". I'm saying this as someone who, after getting the B.U.S, read a lot of the articles on the information article in my first playthrough. A lot of games have optional lore you can choose to read or not which is great! I love that. For example, Metal Gear has codec conversations, Dark Souls has item descriptions (which aren't very long but provide lots of information for speculation), Dragon Age adds information which you can review later on lore etc. It'd be nice if this did the same? I am a big fan of the Mass Effect/Dragon Age Codex way. It's more organised and a good way to get a lot of information out there. In addition, as well as the codex it could be implemented in other ways (whatever they may be...maybe dialogue etc).

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:44 pm

Oh, I get what you're saying about homework and I agree. The exception to the rule is finding information in there that is difficult...a puzzle unto itself. Specifically:
► Show Spoiler
Other than those, the only thing I distinctly recall reading about was the "Weapons of the Gods." I don't really recall reading anything else.

How to make the content that is already there more interesting? Hmm...

The only idea there is a ball of yarn. Pick a thread to pull and pull it, leading to more threads, and more threads. Fundamentally, a wiki. You read one article that contains clickable keywords that lead to more information/articles on that subject. Every link you click permanently unlocks that article in a table of contents. Sure, someone could mindlessly click stuff and not read any of it but, like the ARG and the current information console, not all articles are easily accessed. On that note, I hope the archiver articles ported into The Tower keep the same structure in The Tower. For example, finding...
► Show Spoiler
...is something very rewarding to players familiar with the lore; moreover, it represents a reward for those that explore the lore and not just click through it.

Back to the codex thing...Consortium's information console is missing a table of contents which clearly organizes and displays the articles the Seeker is supposed to see with minimal effort. Keywords are great but they don't replace the functionality/usefulness of a table of contents. A simple solution would be to have every article in a category and being able to see all non-hidden articles by clicking on its respective category.
► Show Spoiler

GreatBird
Consortium Administrator
Flag: Canada

Post by GreatBird » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:55 pm

This is all truly gold, and we will definitely take it all into account when upgrading the info console! :-) Thank-you!
Do, or do not. There is no try.

-- GreatBird --

diss3cted
Consortium Officer
Flag: Austria

Post by diss3cted » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:00 am

I agree that the information console could be structured better - all the good suggestions are already out in the open :)

That said, I find it perfectly fine how the console is your only way to "learn" about a world you have just been put it. I think I like this immersion aspect, because life doesn't give you its lore in structured increments.

From a game-play standpoint, I would love to see more answer types, based on whether you read an article or not. I would have also liked to see reactions from your crew mates when they walk by you while you read some "interesting" articles.

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:05 am

diss3cted wrote:I would have also liked to see reactions from your crew mates when they walk by you while you read some "interesting" articles.
Ooo, that would be neat. Maybe not for specific articles but just comment on the fact you're acting like a bookworm. XD
► Show Spoiler

diss3cted
Consortium Officer
Flag: Austria

Post by diss3cted » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:45 am

There is this one console on the level next to where the chess game is. I guess that Pawn 64 - as paranoid as he is - could make some hilarious remarks if you have one of the more hidden files open.

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:12 pm

I bet it would make him more paranoid. XD

That would be awesome if triggering that ultra-rare sequence...
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Mykll

Post by Mykll » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:44 pm

I am not sure where to put this information console related question so I will just throw it into this in here. And as I start to churn that brain power from slumber my apologies if this gets to be rambling.

What the Information Console? A selected group of articles (out of the total of human history) that in game people decided was important to have saved on the Zenlil?

If Consortium was purely the plane ride to the mission, The Tower, then what lore or explanation is there for jumping into The Tower, and having a ton of Tower related console stuff, that doesn't appear in Consortium?

Will console info in Consortium, be available in The Tower? After all, it is historical data, and even breaking news data. So what reasoning would there be for consoles in The Tower having the same console historical data, or not have that data?

Sorry, I'm still half asleep.
Computer Specs:
► Show Spoiler

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:04 pm

What I'd be interested in knowing is if some articles written for The Tower will be back-ported into Consortium to continue to flesh out the alternate universe. For example, the article about the Churchill Tower that was in burst 2 of the ARG would be useful to Seekers preparing to jump to the tower.
► Show Spoiler

Mykll

Post by Mykll » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:14 pm

Yeah that was sort of what I had rumbling in my brain and failed to type out properly.
Computer Specs:
► Show Spoiler