Early Access ALPHA 1.3 is now live. Includes Act 1 of 3 for the game, made up of 7 full environments including the rooftop for you to explore. 212121! viewforum.php?f=157

Retaining some dialog information through playthroughs

Topics and posts about The Tower. Please be civil. Major trolls may be banned without notice!
FordGT90Concept
Flag: United States of America

Retaining some dialog information through playthroughs

Post by FordGT90Concept » Thu May 12, 2016 1:01 am

A feature of a lot of RPG games with branching dialogs (Skyrim and Witcher 3 come to mind) is that they use contextual cues (states) to indicate a few things about the option. Witcher 4 has four states, for example:
  1. Progressing/Unread = gold
  2. Progressing/Read = dark gold
  3. Query/Unread = white
  4. Query/Read = dark white
I think this would be something that would be nice to have in The Tower but, because the dialog trees are far more complex (far more states with nested states), it needs to be handled differently. It can/should also be extended to encourage and aid in replays so that you can easily see which dialog options are new to you. Here's a simple example of differentiating three important states:
  • >>This indicates that there are sub-choices available that haven't been explored.
  • >This indicates that this specific choice has never been explored.
  • This is a choice and all sub-choices (if any exist) have been explored.
On top of that, something indicating if the choice ends the conversation would be nice as well (bolding the text, perhaps...but probably should be more subtle).

The Consortium Information Console marks read/unread. It would be nice to extend that so that you can see if an article was read in a previous play through.

The states should be saved in a save file specific to the player/user separate from the game saves. The dialog choices the player makes should only be committed to the player/user file at the end of the game so saving/loading will only keep the choices the player/user decided to go with and not all of the choices the player/user explored to reach that decision.

Edit: I talked about previously how it would be nice to reward the player for replaying the game. This would be great as a first unlock for completing the game once. Of course there should be a way to enable "Classic iDGi-1 UI" so if you don't want to see it, you don't have to.

This post is a little bit disjointed but I hope I got the gist across.

Edit: Rewrote chunks of this because it really was disjointed. XD
Last edited by FordGT90Concept on Sun May 15, 2016 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

GreatBird
Consortium Administrator
Flag: Canada

Re: Retaining some dialog information through playthroughs

Post by GreatBird » Fri May 13, 2016 1:10 pm

Some really good thoughts/ideas in here, we will definitely be taking them into consideration! Thank-you for sharing. :-)
Do, or do not. There is no try.

-- GreatBird --

FordGT90Concept
Flag: United States of America

Re: Retaining some dialog information through playthroughs

Post by FordGT90Concept » Mon May 16, 2016 3:04 pm

FYI, I made a lot of edits to the original post for clarity (not much new information added). It was *really* bad its original form. XD

Zombie posting is a bad idea, mmkay? A shame I get my best ideas when I'm <10% awake. XD
► Show Spoiler