Consortium: The Tower Early Access ALPHA 1.5 is live. Lots of bug fixes and general gameplay and content improvements and polish. Estimated amount of gameplay for Act 1 is 15-20 hours viewforum.php?f=157

Civilian Defense Gauntlet

All topics and discussion about the first CONSORTIUM game. No bug reports please. Please be civil. Major trolls may be banned without notice!
FordGT90Concept
Flag: United States of America

Civilian Defense Gauntlet

Post by FordGT90Concept » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:14 am

Bugs:
-Bots get stuck on the corner of one of the lower spawners. Spawners removed 5/2.
-The map loads with one (or many) of the bots firing a weapon. It stops when the first enemies spawn. Fixed 5/2.
-The map automagically restarts but the second time around, the bots don't despawn and the spawners keep spawning. Fixed 5/2.
-when you or the civilians die, the spawners apparently keep working so your score can keep rising. Fixed 4/29.
-I seem to remember in the usual vt_civiliandefense that, when an enemy dies, the gun they're holding stays in their inventory for quick taking/recycling. That is not the case in vt_civdefense_gauntlet. They drop their weapons so you have to grab it separately. Kind of annoying especially because there is no wave breather in this map. Not a bug.

Other combat related bugs/features:
-I have my use key rebound to KP_ENTER and my recycle key rebound to KP_MINUS. Neither of these rebound keys work in the inventory. I have to click the button in the user interface to take all or recycle all.
-Having the mouse wheel select weapon instead of equip/change it also throwing me way off. I'd rather health/repair be removed from the mouse wheel (because I always use the keys) and the wheel automatically change available weapons. A change for The Tower but not Consortium.
Last edited by FordGT90Concept on Tue May 03, 2016 2:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

Mykll

Re: Civilian Defense Gauntlet

Post by Mykll » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:16 am

Yep thought on the stream Greg said that it would be game over if you or the civvies all died, but yeah the waves keep coming and the score keeps going up. But a cool map to finally be able to jump around!
Computer Specs:
► Show Spoiler

GreatBird
Consortium Administrator
Flag: Canada

Post by GreatBird » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:29 pm

This has been updated with the major issues wiped out. New spawn point higher up added, spawning frequency changed, starting ammo reduced, new end boss added.

Looking to officially announce the existence of this level on Monday... no features added/fixed (this isn't a full scale development venture, just a new level...).
Do, or do not. There is no try.

-- GreatBird --

Mykll

Post by Mykll » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:40 pm

Wasn't sure where you wanted our findings before official announcement, so I put them where I did.
Computer Specs:
► Show Spoiler

GreatBird
Consortium Administrator

Post by GreatBird » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:35 am

Here would have been fine. :-)

-- GreatBird --

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:39 am

I updated the OP, crossing out those I can confirm were fixed and added some new ones (repeat of what was said on Discord I think, just making sure they're known).
► Show Spoiler

GreatBird
Consortium Administrator

Post by GreatBird » Mon May 02, 2016 9:47 pm

New version up.

-Moved lower spawners up a level
-Fixed failing to reset map a second time? (hopefully should work for multiple plays??)
-fixed BUS guy shooting immediately
-fixed teleporting guys
-fix for guys falling out of the level
-add “PERFECT Run!” when incapping all and civies are unharmed at the end of Wave 5.

-- GreatBird --

Mykll

Post by Mykll » Mon May 02, 2016 10:46 pm

New map layout. Failed a number of times and it always reloaded fine. That pack on the top ledge no longer "wave warps". Not immediately finding anything to break on purpose.
Computer Specs:
► Show Spoiler

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Tue May 03, 2016 1:52 am

GreatBird wrote:-fixed BUS guy shooting immediately
Spoiler!

Edit: So the weapon switching is still really kicking my butt. Even so, I managed to get 5600 before getting downed, it switched to wave four before the map reloaded giving a high score of 6600. I think I'm going to try to bind the weapon selection to my mouse thumb buttons.

Other than the clunky switching and KP_ENTER not working to take all, I'm not really seeing any bugs.

Edit: I think 6600 is the best I can do. Can't switch weapons fast enough in wave 4 to deal with the shielded enemies unless I resort to killing them all.

Edit: On a related note, I often find myself getting turned around where the civilians are. Since the bots only have one real path to the civilians now, it would be nice if there was some kind of indicator to draw your attention to that side.

Also, I've had bots walk into the center of the room and not fire on the civilians until I fired on it. You're pretty well screwed if it comes to that though so probably not something that needs to be fixed.
► Show Spoiler

GreatBird
Consortium Administrator

Post by GreatBird » Tue May 03, 2016 1:30 pm

Ford, you may not realize, but a fully charged CEAR sonic blast can take down even a fully shielded enemy...

-- GreatBird --

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Tue May 03, 2016 2:10 pm

I didn't know that. I assume that's not true of the BUS or that would be too easy.
► Show Spoiler

Mykll

Post by Mykll » Tue May 03, 2016 2:50 pm

FordGT90Concept wrote: Other than the clunky switching and KP_ENTER not working to take all, I'm not really seeing any bugs.
Why are you hitting KP_ENTER? I forget why I know you mentioned it before.

As far as weapon switching, I am sort of used to hitting the number keys 1-3 because of many games with weapon swapping (but yes I prefer the mouse scroll, and even bought a mouse that specifically locks the scroll wheel in place and instead of free-wheeling around, so no accidental weapon swaps but I have to click the wheel up and down, hope that makes sense) so that is not a big deal to me. Also, I have gotten used to using the mouse scroll to select a different weapon, and then the left mouse key (fire button) to actually select it. But I don't use the KP_ENTER.
Computer Specs:
► Show Spoiler

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Tue May 03, 2016 4:07 pm

My left hand is on the keypad:
5 = backwards
4 = left
6 = right
8 = forwards
7 = medical nanites
9 = repair
/ = sprint
1 = crouch
3 = jump
+ = reload (don't think Consortium uses that)
- = drop/recycle
0 = open inventory
enter = pick up/use
page down = show alignment (hit It with my pinky)

I had to bind mouse4 to CEAR and mouse5 to KAR because the wheel is worthless. My mind isn't going to accept those binds (supposed to be melee and grenade) so it's still clunky for me but at least doable.
► Show Spoiler

Mykll

Post by Mykll » Tue May 03, 2016 4:28 pm

Ah ok I use the old standard WASD.
Computer Specs:
► Show Spoiler

GreatBird
Consortium Administrator

Post by GreatBird » Tue May 03, 2016 6:22 pm

Ford: "I assume that's not true of the BUS or that would be too easy"

You assume correctly.

-- GreatBird --

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Tue May 03, 2016 6:24 pm

So, CEAR everyone, save the KAR for BUS, got it. XD

Operating on the theoretical that I even get that far tomorrow, is the BUS capable? I remember trying to incap the traitor and I concluded, "LOL NOPE."
► Show Spoiler

GreatBird
Consortium Administrator

Post by GreatBird » Tue May 03, 2016 6:32 pm

The BUS boss will not succumb to incapacitating, you must kill it...and get an extra 1000 points for doing so.

So, new version is up:

-fixed up game ending for when player or all civies die
-fixed player collision issues on grid walls
-Added more of a real pause in between waves. Longer pauses for later waves.

-- GreatBird --

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Wed May 04, 2016 4:16 am

Let's DO this!
I like the wait times between waves but I think they're too long. Why not make it like the normal VT CivDef where you can press a key to continue?
If you're going to keep the timer between waves, how long are they set to? I think between wave 1-2 and 2-3 is at least 10 seconds too long. I'm getting bored waiting.
Keep failing on the third wave due to them mostly showing up at the same time and overwhelming my shields.
I did really good on that one but my score was horrible. Reason: the penalty for civilian deaths. You're guaranteed a higher score if they kill you before they kill civilians.
So I thought I had it under control mid/late wave three. I was out of energy so I went back to the civilians to recycle. When I went back out there, there were probably 4-5 guys. This is when the proverbial crap hits the fan and it has played out pretty much the same way on every attempt. Because there are so many:
-shields are down
-suit and health taking damage
-energy gone
--need to do full charge of CEAR but can't
--need to stick nanites in those that are down but can't

The only options are death or retreat for energy, heal, and repair. The thing is, you now got a wall of bad guys coming at you and two or three of them likely have shields. You might as well throw your CEAR away at this point because you don't have the energy to stay alive and hit them (especially the shielded). KAR (no energy requirement, no having to expose yourself to subdue them) is really the only option or you'll get overrun.

Solutions:
-slow the spawn rate down (save this kind of craziness for wave 4).
-redesign the map so they don't congregate into a covered mass.
-add more cover so you aren't so exposed when incapacitating.

I think I'm going to try switching to KAR on wave 3 and see what happens.
Going lethal makes it so easy at the cost of score.

A bot got stuck in the non-playable area: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =678326228

Wave 5, lethal is a must.

Edit: There's a disagreement between the "final score" (11,445) and the "score" (11,420): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =678362333
So...since it does have to go lethal, I really need to fix the control problems.

Just saw the Fig email. Why not call "jpeg" when the endgame sequence is triggered that way a screenshot is automatically saved?

Here's my autokeyscript (rebound USE back to E since only E works for TAKE ALL):

Code: Select all

WheelDown::Send {WheelDown}{LButton}
WheelUp::Send {WheelUp}{LButton}
NumpadEnter::E
Confirmed this worked. Restarted, here we go...
Made it through round 3 incapacitating all.

Ugh! One of them slipped through and killed the civilians at the end of wave 4!

Edit: I think I know why. I've never seen it happen but the results speak for themselves (that's the second and third bot to spawn on the map...second somehow didn't follow the elevated path and fell down giving him easy, backdoor access to the civilians): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =678361433

That's it, going 100% lethal on wave 4-5!
A pack of grenades fell out of no where at the end of wave 2? :S I'm positive I picked up the stuff at the top of the map.

I had to resort to lethal on wave 3 because about 8 of them (two or three shielded) came at once.

I'm pretty sure I got to the boss because a laser killed me. I got the highest score yet though (13,275): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =678374737

My fatal flaw: should have used cheap ammo from the start and saved the shield piercing stuff for wave 5. Using the cheap ammo, I couldn't kill the shielded enemies fast enough. Problem is: most of the enemies have shotguns so ammo of both types are few and far between. :(

I think I'll try one last time...
I killed the BUS...and nothing happened. I noclipped to make sure there weren't any hostiles that fell out of the map and I don't see any. I think I lost one civilian because my score is 12,350 which is lower than my last screen shot.

If there isn't a hefty point bonus for the BUS, there should be (like 5000).

I think that's enough Virtual Trainer for a day. XD

I created a save at this point so if you want it for debugging purposes, let me know.

"Bishop 6 is #1!"
► Show Spoiler

GreatBird
Consortium Administrator

Post by GreatBird » Wed May 04, 2016 10:29 am

Ford: awesome report, thank-you!! I will happily take a saved game from BEFORE you killed the BUS, and I'll look into what happened at the end....

Because the contest is on now, I won't be adjusting score stuff at all, but will do when integrating it with the game proper and hooking it up to the steam leaderboards.

-- GreatBird --

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Wed May 04, 2016 10:34 am

Oh, bummer, that one save I made post-killing-the-BUS is literally the only save I got. :(

How important is it that you get a save? I could replay it again if it is important.

Edit: Oh, I saw another random pack of grenades on another play.
► Show Spoiler