Consortium: The Tower Early Access ALPHA 1.5 is live. Lots of bug fixes and general gameplay and content improvements and polish. Estimated amount of gameplay for Act 1 is 15-20 hours viewforum.php?f=157

Doubletalk - Motor Control Chip related?

All topics and discussion about the first CONSORTIUM game. No bug reports please. Please be civil. Major trolls may be banned without notice!
Historian
Flag: United States of America

Doubletalk - Motor Control Chip related?

Post by Historian » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:46 am

During the confrontation with Kiril and at other points, Knight 15 is able to talk to you and others simultaneously without losing focus or coherence.

We've got a couple options to explain that: like ourselves, K may be split between her mind and another, connecting through another packet. She may also be getting physical as well as mental assistance from K1 via her MUVI/Motor Control Chip.

Or, there may be another, additional technology (or CMC may do this naturally) that perhaps translates wants to words - letting her 'speak' without necessarily needing to think out sentences.

I find the most interesting option being that she's constantly in sync with the King - which is why she communicates with him so much. Perhaps it's true of all officers - Rooks, Bishops, and Knights. We're the exception because we're directly connected through the King's system - he can't be in there twice. Only, if that were true, all Consortium body scans would show that doublebrain that Keiran found.

Something interesting to think about.

FordGT90Concept

Re: Doubletalk - Motor Control Chip related?

Post by FordGT90Concept » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:54 am

Never put the two together...it's plausible.

There is a way to ask her about it (bring it up during the Kiril conversation and then again later, I believe immediately after the Queen conversation) but I didn't take that path for so long I don't remember what she says. It's very missable and tempting to choose a different option.

I vaguely recall her saying it's something all Knights can do. The problem with the remote control idea is that both the CMC voice and physical voices both are in her character. I don't think K-1 has the capability to duplicate that so well...

Yeah...I don't know...
► Show Spoiler

Historian

Post by Historian » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:18 am

Yeah, but nobody notices that -your- voice is different either when you're in control of Bishop 6. I don't think iDGi-1 is better than K1, so I'm not necessarily sure how K1 doing it is different from us doing it.

Which begs the question - why does King sound like he's run through a voice synthesizer? Is it on purpose, to capture that he's not -really- the voices he utilizes?

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:43 pm

The only reason why the Bishop 6 ruse works is because no one on the aircraft personally knows Bishop 6 prior to the Seeker taking over. From the dialogs, it sounds like only Rook 25 had a brief conversation with Bishop 6 before Bishop 6 went to bed. If the Seeker took over a day or two later, I suspect the Seeker ruse wouldn't work because characters familiar with Bishop 6 would realize he's acting differently. As is, the only know if you're acting strange if you give away information that doesn't fit their world (like saying "my time" to Rook 13).

If you try to spill the beans to Pawn 1, Pawn 1 says you sound exactly like the Consortium King.

The motor control means Henry can manipulate the muscles of the subject; therefore, everything said should sound like the individual saying it. Combining the above with that fact, I think we need to take "like" literally. It must have sounded like a very good Consortium King impression to Pawn 1 and Knight 15.

Going further, we know that Jasper and Moira are giving King voice on December 21, 2042. From that, we can guess that Bishop 6 mimicked Jasper whom is about the same age (22) as Bishop 6.

King's voice is synthesized most likely because of the uncanny valley effect (the more human-like something is, the more repulsive it becomes to humans). I suspect the sound Bishop 6 produced would sound like the synthesized Jasper we hear later in the game. If it weren't synthesized, I think it's safe to assume they wouldn't jump to the conclusion it was King's voice.

I said "character" for a reason. The sound of the voice in meat space and through CMC should sound identical to Knight 15, controlled or not. It's the "character" of it that I'm not sure King can reproduce. That is to say, Knight 15, in both of the conversations, says things that fit Knight 15's character.
► Show Spoiler