Consortium: The Tower Early Access ALPHA 1.5 is live. Lots of bug fixes and general gameplay and content improvements and polish. Estimated amount of gameplay for Act 1 is 15-20 hours viewforum.php?f=157

Rook 25 father?

All topics and discussion about the first CONSORTIUM game. No bug reports please. Please be civil. Major trolls may be banned without notice!
FordGT90Concept
Flag: United States of America

Rook 25 father?

Post by FordGT90Concept » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:06 pm

During an exchange with Rook 3, Rook 25 says something down the lines of "I guess I'm not looking forward to seeing my father." We know Rook 3 isn't Rook 25's father so I assume Rook 25's father (Alastar Boyle) is in London. It seems a wee bit odd...that whole part of the conversation. Am I missing something?
► Show Spoiler

Fallaner

Re: Rook 25 father?

Post by Fallaner » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:26 pm

FordGT90Concept wrote:During an exchange with Rook 3, Rook 25 says something down the lines of "I guess I'm not looking forward to seeing my father." We know Rook 3 isn't Rook 25's father so I assume Rook 25's father (Alastar Boyle) is in London. It seems a wee bit odd...that whole part of the conversation. Am I missing something?
I imagine it was probably just a throwaway line to build character. Though maybe i'm wrong and he will have some role in The Tower.

Felt kinda natural to me, given that it feels like they've all worked together and are loosely friends. ...Of varying degrees.

"Sing with me a song, of silence and blood,
The Rain falls, but can't wash away the mud,
Within my ancient dwells, madness and pride,
Can no one, hear my cry?"

I change profile images sometimes.

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:12 pm

The context doesn't fit. No one was talking about Alastar and she just drops him into the conversation like it belongs there.
► Show Spoiler

Fallaner

Post by Fallaner » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:13 pm

FordGT90Concept wrote:The context doesn't fit. No one was talking about Alastar and she just drops him into the conversation like it belongs there.
At least to me, it seemed like she was using it as an explanation for why she was being such a bitch.

Not that it's that huge a change for her, but at least she bothered to try explaining.

EDIT: Also congratz on surpassing my post count, you seem to have a bunch to say about EVERYTHING, while I tend to lurk a lot more and just read everything.

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:08 pm

Fallaner wrote:At least to me, it seemed like she was using it as an explanation for why she was being such a bitch.
That sort of makes sense but she makes it sound like she doesn't look forward to seeing her father...oh, wait, maybe she was talking about Darsie seeing her father which would be Rook 3? That makes a lot more sense if that's the case.

...but everytime I heard that dialog, I always think it means Alastar Boyle; hence, why I'm so confused.
Fallaner wrote:EDIT: Also congratz on surpassing my post count, you seem to have a bunch to say about EVERYTHING, while I tend to lurk a lot more and just read everything.
I have a lot more to say but I'm hoping I find it as I go through the entire Information Console.

I've been very active trying to flesh out the Wiki and, in doing so, have replayed Consortium many more times (got all of the achievements along the way).
► Show Spoiler

Fallaner

Post by Fallaner » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:40 am

FordGT90Concept wrote:
Fallaner wrote:At least to me, it seemed like she was using it as an explanation for why she was being such a bitch.
That sort of makes sense but she makes it sound like she doesn't look forward to seeing her father...oh, wait, maybe she was talking about Darsie seeing her father which would be Rook 3? That makes a lot more sense if that's the case.

...but everytime I heard that dialog, I always think it means Alastar Boyle; hence, why I'm so confused.
Fallaner wrote:EDIT: Also congratz on surpassing my post count, you seem to have a bunch to say about EVERYTHING, while I tend to lurk a lot more and just read everything.
I have a lot more to say but I'm hoping I find it as I go through the entire Information Console.

I've been very active trying to flesh out the Wiki and, in doing so, have replayed Consortium many more times (got all of the achievements along the way).
You are so much less... lazy than I am. I mean, I have a project due next week and I haven't even started on it yet. ...It's also spring break, which is my excuse for pushing it off.

Also, if she's not looking forward to seeing her father, that same tone would make sense, that IS after all what she's saying, and she may be taking out that unpleasant idea on other people, AKA: Being a bitch.

Like taking out your anger on someone else because you're mad and need to take it out on someone.

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:00 pm

Fallaner wrote:
FordGT90Concept wrote:You are so much less... lazy than I am. I mean, I have a project due next week and I haven't even started on it yet. ...It's also spring break, which is my excuse for pushing it off.
I blame OCD. I am very lazy when not obsessed. XD

Fallaner wrote:Also, if she's not looking forward to seeing her father, that same tone would make sense, that IS after all what she's saying, and she may be taking out that unpleasant idea on other people, AKA: Being a bitch.

Like taking out your anger on someone else because you're mad and need to take it out on someone.
That makes sense too but, as far as we know, Rook 25 hasn't had contact with her father in a while so it's bewildering why should would be irate about him during the meeting with Rook 3.

There is this though: Zenlil, prior to act III, was to go to Dublin, Ireland, and I think that's where Rook 25 grew up. Maybe that's where her father still lives. She knew, going into the meeting with Rook 3, that Zenlil is heading for London, not Dublin, so, at bare minimum, Rook 25 meeting her father again has at least been delayed. I suppose it is possible her thoughts were on her father walking into the conversation, which angered her, which made her not have a level head when speaking with Rook 3, which she then relates to Knight 15 as being the reason for her hot-headedness. ...but see how complex that is? XD

I think something was cut from the conversation that we missed which tied it all together. At least I hope so.
► Show Spoiler

Fallaner

Post by Fallaner » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:39 am

FordGT90Concept wrote:
Fallaner wrote:
FordGT90Concept wrote:You are so much less... lazy than I am. I mean, I have a project due next week and I haven't even started on it yet. ...It's also spring break, which is my excuse for pushing it off.
I blame OCD. I am very lazy when not obsessed. XD

Fallaner wrote:Also, if she's not looking forward to seeing her father, that same tone would make sense, that IS after all what she's saying, and she may be taking out that unpleasant idea on other people, AKA: Being a bitch.

That makes sense too but, as far as we know, Rook 25 hasn't had contact with her father in a while so it's bewildering why should would be irate about him during the meeting with Rook 3.

There is this though: Zenlil, prior to act III, was to go to Dublin, Ireland, and I think that's where Rook 25 grew up. Maybe that's where her father still lives. She knew, going into the meeting with Rook 3, that Zenlil is heading for London, not Dublin, so, at bare minimum, Rook 25 meeting her father again has at least been delayed. I suppose it is possible her thoughts were on her father walking into the conversation, which angered her, which made her not have a level head when speaking with Rook 3, which she then relates to Knight 15 as being the reason for her hot-headedness. ...but see how complex that is? XD

I think something was cut from the conversation that we missed which tied it all together. At least I hope so.
Well, Consortium seems like it's supposed to FEEL like a real reality, and sometimes complex stuff can in fact, be the reason.

Personally, I like how it is now, and it makes sense to me.

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:04 am

I just heard it again. It's something to the effect of "I guess I haven't been looking forward to this visit with my dad. Guess I don't have to worry about that anymore, do I?" She really didn't want to go to Dublin. XD
► Show Spoiler

Thriesteve
Consortium Administrator

Post by Thriesteve » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:53 am

Yeps, you guys got it right :) Just for clarify sake, I'll break down the facts as they're presented in various places throughout the game (convos + console) - I won't say anything not already there.

R25 and R13's parents divorced when they were teens. R25 stayed in Ireland with father, R13 moved to the states with (crazy) mother. R25 joins the Irish Special Forces in order to follow in her father's footsteps. After years of brutal conflict, R25 falls out with the military and leaves, pissing off father and leading to a major falling out. R25 then joins the Consortium, while R13 is "stuck" under the domineering influence of mother, someone who "forebode him" to see both his sister and father. Mother dies, and soon after R13 and R25 reconnect. R25 shows him the Consortium and is instrumental in his recruitment. At R13's behest, R25 finally agrees to take him to visit father in Ireland over the holidays. Fan meets shit, plans change, and needless to say Rook 25 couldn't be happier about it! ;)
---------------------------
-- Steve MacMartin
- head writer @ iDGi

"The creak of bed springs suffering under the weight of a restless man is as lonely a sound as I know" - Patrick DeWitt (Sisters Brothers)

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:26 am

Thanks for the clarification.

Doesn't their (crazy) mother work for Worldview Industries? I seem to recall her + Kieran working on the brains back in 2028. I remember her being crazy but I don't remember how/why. If she was that crazy, Worldview wouldn't have hired her, no? If this is in the information console...I'll get to it...eventually. XD
► Show Spoiler

Thriesteve
Consortium Administrator

Post by Thriesteve » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:35 am

;) crazy in the sense that she was almost militantly overprotective / overbearing with anything related to her son. Like him, she had her personal "flaws" but was insanely good at her job.
---------------------------
-- Steve MacMartin
- head writer @ iDGi

"The creak of bed springs suffering under the weight of a restless man is as lonely a sound as I know" - Patrick DeWitt (Sisters Brothers)

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:42 am

Ah, gotcha.
► Show Spoiler