Consortium: The Tower Early Access ALPHA 1.5 is live. Lots of bug fixes and general gameplay and content improvements and polish. Estimated amount of gameplay for Act 1 is 15-20 hours viewforum.php?f=157

Character Design

All topics and discussion about the first CONSORTIUM game. No bug reports please. Please be civil. Major trolls may be banned without notice!
BishopSix
Consortium Officer
Flag: Great Britain

Character Design

Post by BishopSix » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:31 pm

As I'm not a game designer I only have a fairly rudimentary understanding of how it all works but it was quite noticeable that the character design (particularly the faces) wasn't what we perhaps were used to from a lot of contemporary adventure games. It's difficult to explain what I mean. The best comparison I can make is that they were comparable to characters from the SIMS franchise. That's in no way a bad thing. After all, SIMS has been going a long time and has millions of followers.

I think I remember reading recently in one of your news updates that you were aiming for a particular feel and style of game which goes some way to explaining the 'SIMSlike' appearance. It does seem to fit the world in which they are placed.

Basically, my question is - was their 'SIMSlike' appearance deliberate or was it a limitation of the game engine?

Thanks
James

BobJSE
Consortium Administrator
Flag: Canada

Re: Character Design

Post by BobJSE » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:10 pm

Game 1 was built in Source, and we used a tool called Face Poser ( https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Faceposer ) to create slightly more realistic expressions on the characters. So, mostly engine, but also because wanted the expressions of the characters to match what they were saying. Same with body posture, to create the idea that you were interacting with "real people" instead of NPC's.

Same reason we used a "waterfall" conversation tree, instead of a Mass Effect style "tell me more" system.
Quantum Transcriber, Content Writer.

Historian
Flag: United States of America

Post by Historian » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:16 pm

I think it adds to the design, in a way - very clean like the Consortium's aesthetic - but it's pretty egregious how similar Pawn 7's corpse and Wade look, for instance. Hard to make a lot of good characters different enough. Voice acting helps for sure.

BishopSix
Consortium Officer
Flag: Great Britain

Post by BishopSix » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:17 pm

BobJSE wrote:Game 1 was built in Source, and we used a tool called Face Poser ( https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Faceposer ) to create slightly more realistic expressions on the characters. So, mostly engine, but also because wanted the expressions of the characters to match what they were saying. Same with body posture, to create the idea that you were interacting with "real people" instead of NPC's.
I think that decision really paid off in the way it immersed the player even deeper into that game world. Also, the games's following shows it was successful.