Consortium: The Tower Early Access ALPHA 1.5 is live. Lots of bug fixes and general gameplay and content improvements and polish. Estimated amount of gameplay for Act 1 is 15-20 hours viewforum.php?f=157

Story Concepts

All topics and discussion about the first CONSORTIUM game. No bug reports please. Please be civil. Major trolls may be banned without notice!
BishopSix
Consortium Officer
Flag: Great Britain

Story Concepts

Post by BishopSix » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:54 pm

I have a couple of questions for the develpment team that have been rattling around in my head since I played through the game a year ago.

1) From where does the name of the aircraft, Zenlil, originate?
2) Why were chess pieces chosen for crew rankings as opposed to the conventional system of captain, first officer, etc?

Thanks
James

GreatBird
Consortium Administrator
Flag: Canada

Re: Story Concepts

Post by GreatBird » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:18 pm

1) Zenlil: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlil --- combined with Zen. :-)

2) To reflect the very unique organizational structure of the Consortium. The Consortium is not structured like a military with a strict chain of command. Instead, each officer has a specific role/speciality and they are expected to fulfill that role to the best of their ability. This means countermanding any orders from a technically superior officer is perfectly A-OK if it means they are fulfilling their duty and maintaining the Consortium Mandate.
Do, or do not. There is no try.

-- GreatBird --

BishopSix
Consortium Officer

Post by BishopSix » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:09 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Really interesting, especially regarding officers being allowed to countermand orders from senior officers. Was this explored in any depth in the game such as a sub plot? If so, it completely passed me by. I know it all takes place in an alternate universe but still wouldn't this naturally lead to chaos?

GreatBird
Consortium Administrator
Flag: Canada

Post by GreatBird » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:14 pm

Well, yes, Rook 25 challenges Knight 15 throughout the entire game.

The things she says to the Knight would all be considered complete insubordination in a military org, but she's allowed to challenge the Knight in whatever way she sees fit. Technically, Consortium officers ARE supposed to follow orders from a superior, but CAN countermand them if they feel they have a strong precedent to do so.
Do, or do not. There is no try.

-- GreatBird --

BishopSix
Consortium Officer

Post by BishopSix » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:42 pm

I suppose if I replayed it I would pick up on that now. It's a bit like when you watch a movie a second time and you start to see things you completely missed the first time round.