Whispers From The Rift v0.96 is now live. Limited/Exclusive access to Whispers beta is now available via the iDGi Patreon Campaign .

Consortium: The Tower Early Access ALPHA 1.10 is live. Includes all of Act 1 and the beginning of Act 2. 20+ hours of gameplay.

Consortium - The Pen & Paper (& Internet) Group

Topics and posts about whatever you wish. Please be civil. Major trolls may be banned without notice!
FordGT90Concept
Flag: United States of America

Re: Consortium - The Pen & Paper (& Internet) Group

Post by FordGT90Concept » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:06 am

Stormbird was ordered October 21, 2029 so there's basically less than a year window.

I think Bob is right in suggesting it shouldn't be on an aircraft because it is too constricting.

2028-2029, the heart of the lore is in Xalapa, Mexico.

Consortium was founded in 2032. I'd suggest before 2032 if you want a world devoid of Consortium or after 2032 if you want a world where Consortium knocks on the door of any violent activities.
► Show Spoiler

OldFashioned
Consortium Officer
Flag: Great Britain

Post by OldFashioned » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:44 am

Uhm, Bob only said we shouldn't do it on Zenlil, he even suggested we choose another C-3800 D

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:24 am

Oh! In that case, C-3800-E Hesperus may be ideal. There's virtually nothing about it in the lore other than it exists and operates over South America.
► Show Spoiler

GreatBird
Consortium Administrator
Flag: Canada

Post by GreatBird » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:14 pm

If you guys were to seriously role-play onboard Hesperus, there is a seriously good chance you may influence the real lore of the game. :-) If you strike magic and have awesome stuff happening, that is.... ;-)
Do, or do not. There is no try.

-- GreatBird --

Vennir
Consortium Officer

Post by Vennir » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:22 pm

To everyone that wasn't in the 27/04 stream, how do you feel about voicechat? These kinda of groups usually center around it, but technically you can type/chat especially in Roll20.

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:28 pm

I think text would be better for documentation purposes. Kind of hard for IDGI to work with it if they can't access it.

Edit: That said, Discord already has a room for PNP voice.
► Show Spoiler

OldFashioned
Consortium Officer

Post by OldFashioned » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Well, I assumed it would be over voice chat, discord and all, but we really should put it into writing, the stuff that happens.... Maybe a rough voice-to-text that will be edited afterward?

SirMarth01
Consortium Officer

Post by SirMarth01 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:20 pm

I know literally nothing at all about PnP RPGs, other than that there are dice rolls involved. I also severely lack creativity.

That said, I'm still somewhat interested.

Did put in a feature request for Discord to support recording voice chat, so that might be of use if they add that.

Historian

Post by Historian » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:04 pm

Not understanding dice rolls is no excuse, guys. It's super simple and I shall teach ya'll.

Dice Roll + Modifiers = Target Number?

If Yes, Action Succeeds

If No, Action Fails

There's more to it than that, but if you can wrap your head around that simple concept, that's all you really need to know.

Vennir
Consortium Officer

Post by Vennir » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:10 pm

Con and I were talking yesterday and judging by the response so far, we'll be primarily typing. The option of voicechat is still there for people who still want to use it, however. I can actually just record the whole thing in a video if people prefer to watch. But Con, I believe you said you might write it out in a sort of full story fanfiction?

OldFashioned
Consortium Officer

Post by OldFashioned » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:41 pm

Vennir wrote:Con and I were talking yesterday and judging by the response so far, we'll be primarily typing. The option of voicechat is still there for people who still want to use it, however. I can actually just record the whole thing in a video if people prefer to watch. But Con, I believe you said you might write it out in a sort of full story fanfiction?
Typing and voice chat together would be very hard to sync up, no? In any case, I'd dot down the stuff that happen and make them into a presentable story afterward in any case

EDIT: Actually, you said you could record it Vennir? That would be very helpful!

Mykll

Post by Mykll » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:40 pm

Figured I would post some links that we used for future reference. Because I was too dumb to save them now scrolling back through our history.

Fate system dice roller.
http://ethanfudgedice.appspot.com/

Fate core character creation worksheet
http://www.evilhat.com/home/wp-content/ ... ksheet.pdf

Fate core system character sheet
http://www.evilhat.com/home/wp-content/ ... -Sheet.pdf

Fate core system sample characters
http://fate-srd.com/fate-accelerated/example-characters

Really the starting point of learning Fate system
http://fate-srd.com/fate-accelerated/get-started
Computer Specs:
► Show Spoiler

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Sun May 01, 2016 4:44 am

Oh, so it's six sided dice but +, -, or nothing. Seems kind of silly. Would make more sense to have two six sided die where one is +, the other is - and two faces on each are blank. I could change the program but, I'm also thinking it's nearly impossible to follow where everyone is so +1 vote for Roll20.net

Additionally, I think we noticed the slowness of it all which encourages separate conversations in different locations simultaneously. Ideally, these would take place in separate channels so that it is easier to follow each conversation individually. Alternatively, only one area should be permitted to be active at a time while the rest are effectively paused. The latter would obviously be easier for the GM and for chronicling but a lot more content would be produced by the former and the game far more lively.
► Show Spoiler

OldFashioned
Consortium Officer

Post by OldFashioned » Sun May 01, 2016 5:18 am

FordGT90Concept wrote:Oh, so it's six sided dice but +, -, or nothing. Seems kind of silly. Would make more sense to have two six sided die where one is +, the other is - and two faces on each are blank. I could change the program but, I'm also thinking it's nearly impossible to follow where everyone is so +1 vote for Roll20.net

Additionally, I think we noticed the slowness of it all which encourages separate conversations in different locations simultaneously. Ideally, these would take place in separate channels so that it is easier to follow each conversation individually. Alternatively, only one area should be permitted to be active at a time while the rest are effectively paused. The latter would obviously be easier for the GM and for chronicling but a lot more content would be produced by the former and the game far more lively.
I don't quite understand your take on the dice, but no matter, what worries me in that statement is that we should split. There would be absolutely no character interaction the separate groups (within the same story), and as a direct consequence story cohesion would be turned to dust after 2 sessions, max. It would also wreck the flow, tons of opportunities would be missed, and many players will simply not be able to do anything, because that path has been cut off by the previous group, or an ongoing plan will be scrapped by the following group because their abilities are more suited to another approach.

(Example: Group A is more combat oriented, therefore they plan to rush in from the front door, but group B has more of a diplomatic inclination, the amount of suspension of disbelief it would require for them to successfully diplomatize after Group A went in guns blazing is staggering. And even if the groups are homogenously distributed [Every group has the same amount of capability in every field {which would mean that at least SOME people will be forced to play characters they don't want to}], that would just force people into acting out the previous groups' plans, and that's not quite what p&p is about.)

If it is indeed not possible to have everyone on at the same time I suggest that the two (I assume, could be more) groups are fully independant in their own right, as in, not in the same place, time etc.
Though I would still prefer if we could all be together...

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Sun May 01, 2016 6:33 am

The key is areas. If group A and group B are in the same room, they are in the same channel so everything is cohesive; however, if group A is on one side of the facility and group B is on the other side, there's no reason why they couldn't take different approaches. If group A does something to put the entire facility on alert, then that warrants putting the two groups back into the same channel. Group B may then simply decide to retreat which put them back in a separate channel as they extract. Once they get back to Hesperus, they may take a support role which would place group A and group B back in the same channel.

Merging the separate threads for archival purposes and dealing with CMCs is where it gets complicated. CMC would ideally be akin to a private message but, in doing so, it would be completely lost from the archive.

These are all things IRC could handle well with the server compiling the final draft (because it has all of the data). I wonder if anyone made a version of IRC server for P&P.

The problem with being together is either overlapping messaging (makes it difficult to follow each conservation thread) or lots of idle time--especially for the more minor characters.

Fundamentally, I don't care which approach is taken but I think we should decide on an approach (multithreaded or single threaded).

If we're definitely sticking to text-based, I think single threaded would be best. In this way, there's no reason for "sessions" per say (occurs based on player availability). GM can just leave a message and the concerned parties can respond when they are able. It'll move slowly but it isn't like there is a time pressure anyway.
► Show Spoiler

OldFashioned
Consortium Officer

Post by OldFashioned » Sun May 01, 2016 8:42 am

I don't know.... Just leaving it open like that won't work well (at the very least) if you ask me, drop-in/out is not a viable system in a story and player interaction heavy medium.
It works in some video games because a) it's about progressing through a level (a la the Lego games) or b) the drop-in character is completely ignored in the story, only existing in gameplay

If it's group size and not player availability that we're trying to alleviate through separating them we could use a round system where everyone says what they will do in order, but people can aid/interfere in someone's action by spending their own instead.
That way we won't have matches of ping-pong where "the ball" is passed between a couple players constantly

When you play in the flesh, it's not like you don't hear the stuff your character is not aware of, you just have to act based on your character's knowledge and not your own, so the cmc in the open is not really an issue.

Also, having one GM look after two groups doing completely separate things is plain overextending him, and the point about each groups' actions affecting one another not being manageable still stands.

Perhaps two groups, each with their own GM together on the same plane, but on different missions would work best. That way, only the end results of each groups' adventures make an impact, thus not warping ongoing adventures, but changing some aspects of future ones.

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Sun May 01, 2016 9:24 am

Whichever channel the GM is in is the one that has the main plot; the rest would just be character building/doing job/screwing around/etc., nothing plot related.

Historian said he wants to do multithreaded in a single channel.
► Show Spoiler

Vennir
Consortium Officer

Post by Vennir » Sun May 01, 2016 10:32 am

He (almost) died for our sins
Never Forgetti

Historian

Post by Historian » Sun May 01, 2016 12:16 pm

#NeverForgetPawn76

OldFashioned
Consortium Officer

Post by OldFashioned » Sun May 01, 2016 4:18 pm

FordGT90Concept wrote:Whichever channel the GM is in is the one that has the main plot; the rest would just be character building/doing job/screwing around/etc., nothing plot related.

Historian said he wants to do multithreaded in a single channel.
So wait, can people just pop in and out of the "main channel" then? Will the others be completely unsupervised? Will there be different GMs for different timezones?