Consortium: The Tower Early Access ALPHA 1.5 is live. Lots of bug fixes and general gameplay and content improvements and polish. Estimated amount of gameplay for Act 1 is 15-20 hours viewforum.php?f=157

Consortium - The Pen & Paper (& Internet) Group

Topics and posts about whatever you wish. Please be civil. Major trolls may be banned without notice!
Historian
Flag: United States of America

Consortium - The Pen & Paper (& Internet) Group

Post by Historian » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQEVgbMqq7o

CONSORTIUM - THE ROLEPLAYING GAME.

More specifically, hello Seekers!

Welcome to Consortium: The Roleplaying Game. No, I didn't make a system. Yes, I'll be homebrewing it to all hell. It'll either be some variant of Shadowrun, Traveller, or D20 Modern, depending on what rules I can bend where. Traveller is probably best - it has space mechanics, career creation, and some designs for power armor included already.

It's not perfect, but it's something to start with. As a D6 system with tons of random event tables, we can do some cool stuff. The first run will be mostly a tutorial - an intro to the ship (Maybe a C-3800, maybe something smaller. Like a prototype during the first days of the Consortium.) and the world of 203X.

So, from you guys, I'm trying to judge interest. I can run either via Roll20 - a standard site for this kinda stuff - or through a Discord if we get one running. Shouldn't be much work either way.

I'd like to know three things: 1) What kind of character you'd like to play. We don't have to all be Bishops, Knights, or Rooks - though it'd be cool to have all four. 2) What kind of story you're looking for - action, intrigue, adventure, etc. 3) What platform you'd like to see the game played on, and what time works best for you in EST.

I'll give ya'll more once I put some work into it this weekend.

Vennir
Consortium Officer
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Consortium - The Pen & Paper (& Internet) Group

Post by Vennir » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:50 pm

Thanks for making this first off!

Now, I personally wouldn't mind playing someone as "low" as a Pawn (I suspect people will want to be higher up :P) or even a rogue or unaffiliated person if needs be? For simplicity's sake we're going to need to be together though so a Pawn I guess is the way forward for me. I'm GMT but I work evenings/nights but I'm pretty flexible. I've played with people from different timezones before and really it's when we're online or we plan a date/time a week ahead. Roll20 could be fun a you can input graphics/have the dice roll on screen for all to see but I'm fine with either. I'd personally prefer a mystery/adventure story.

BobJSE
Consortium Administrator
Flag: Canada

Post by BobJSE » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:40 pm

I can't join in (as I know everything), but if you have any basic questions about the setting, let me know.
Quantum Transcriber, Content Writer.

OldFashioned
Consortium Officer

Post by OldFashioned » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:09 am

BobJSE wrote:I can't join in (as I know everything), but if you have any basic questions about the setting, let me know.
What do you mean by "know everything"? Because I'd love to have the numbers to the next lotto.... And the answers for the finals too, if possible :P

Back to topic, I'd love to take part too! I'm relatively new (see: 0 XP) to p&p's, but enthusiasm wil make up for that, right? Right? Well at least I hope so...
I'll have to think about the character for a bit though...

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:01 am

He's one of the writers for Consortium/Tower. XD

Discord link is at the top of the forums.

I played the Knight of Pen & Paper game for like an hour before getting bored. I don't think it is really for me, sadly.
► Show Spoiler

OldFashioned
Consortium Officer

Post by OldFashioned » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:25 am

Heh, I gathered as much, though I don't quite understand why it would prevent someone from joining in. That'd be like W40K authors not playing dark heresy.. If anything, it would make you more qualified :D
But yeah, I guess there are more important ways to spend the time ;)

I personally haven't played Knights of pen & paper but I can't really imagine a video game (so far) can really successfully simulate a p&p game. A video game can't adapt to player interaction on that scale (Not even Consortium I'm afraid, but it's a helluva lot closer than the rest)

BobJSE
Consortium Administrator
Flag: Canada

Post by BobJSE » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:45 am

I was a bit too ambiguous. I just mean, my knowledge of the setting means my decisions as a player may be... influenced.

Doing a homebrew is a good idea, but maybe for a little less work, try it using a pre-established system? Unknown Armies or Delta Green may work.

I'd also suggest not setting it on Zenlil. Maybe try one of the other C-3800-Ds. Never know, maybe characters you guys create could make their way into the real game.
Quantum Transcriber, Content Writer.

OldFashioned
Consortium Officer

Post by OldFashioned » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:02 pm

BobJSE wrote:I was a bit too ambiguous. I just mean, my knowledge of the setting means my decisions as a player may be... influenced.

Doing a homebrew is a good idea, but maybe for a little less work, try it using a pre-established system? Unknown Armies or Delta Green may work.

I'd also suggest not setting it on Zenlil. Maybe try one of the other C-3800-Ds. Never know, maybe characters you guys create could make their way into the real game.
Waaaaa, that would be SO cool! Like really cool! Super-duper with cherries on top cool!

PeteDelkus
Consortium Officer

Post by PeteDelkus » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:07 pm

This seems like something i could get into! That would be awesome if we could manage to create characters with such an in depth background that they could make it into the real game.
"What do you mean comic sans is an ugly font? It's what this country was built upon!" -A Wise Philosopher

Historian

Post by Historian » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:41 pm

I'm thinking the game is set in the early years - on a prototype craft before Stormbird. No PCUs or BUSs, just nanoweave spidersilk kevlar and some skull-cracking as part of a multidiscipline team.

No Seekering. No Guardian Churching. Only hints at that stuff behind the scenes - off comments by the Queen or King, an occasional protest, etc.

Vennir
Consortium Officer

Post by Vennir » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:51 pm

OldFashioned wrote: Back to topic, I'd love to take part too! I'm relatively new (see: 0 XP) to p&p's, but enthusiasm wil make up for that, right? Right? Well at least I hope so...
I'll have to think about the character for a bit though...
We can be n00bs together.

Historian

Post by Historian » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:23 pm

Okay, since we've got a lot of newbies, I'll stick to Traveller as a base system. Fairly simple - I like it for the random event tables, the worldgen, the shipgen, and the chargen systems. In short - it's the perfect Sci-Fi episode simulator, and that's really what Consortium 1 was channeling throughout the game. We're going to be playing off that sense of crew, ship, and survival.

For those completely unversed, Pen & Paper games utilize three things to calculate event outcomes. Target Numbers, Dice Rolls, and Modifiers. Target Numbers are the base to-hit for the event to succeed. Dice rolls are the raw chance value of success - based on the target number, it may be easy or difficult. Modifiers are features of your character, the environment, and your own ingenuity and roleplaying in some cases, that add or subtract from the dice roll.

In essence - you want to reload a gun. You have a DEX of like, 4. That's bad. So you have a -2 modifier from your DEX. But then you have time - if you take like, a few minutes fumbling with a magazine, you get a +6. If you have seconds, you might have another malus of -2, -4, -8, whatever the hell. Then you have skills - if you have Rifles 1, you get a +1 bonus from your character's experience in the skill of Rifle combat. Say you're in dire straights - and you narrate your character haplessly slapping the magazine in while getting his cover blown to bits - developing who your character is? Maybe we slip you a few extra pluses. It's about encouraging good roleplay.

ALL RPG actions are essentially a matter of chance and good character design/roleplaying. You can be a total charisma minmaxer - but if you roleplay like shit, your charisma checks won't necessarily work. The opposite is true as well - sometimes good roleplay will get you out of a bind, but others, roleplaying won't necessarily make your 1 CHA barbarian idiot into an eloquent scholar. That's bad roleplaying too - play to your role. That's why it's a roleplaying game.

IN TRAVELLER SPECIFICALLY (As in, not in all PnPs), Dice Mods are usually added on top of the standard target number - 8, on a 2d6 roll. Roll two D6 dice, add the result, add modifiers, if they beat 8, you succeed. There may be degrees of success on top of that - roll a twelve, you did really well. Roll Snake Eyes? You're fucked, somehow, even on eating soup (though we don't roll for that shit - you roll for what matters).

The goal, ladies and gentlemen, is a great story told through tragedy and triumph. I refer you to the legend of Old Man Henderson. That'll be all the inspiration you need.

Vennir
Consortium Officer

Post by Vennir » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:19 pm

I've played games with similiar mechanics (Baldur's Gate) and have watched others stream Roll20 so I'm fairly versed on the basics. I think we can "cross the bridge when we get to it" this; if someone has a question on what they're supposed to do and such they can feel free too.

Wow what even
I just
You know what? I'm not going to question it. Old Man Henderson is a hero.

Mykll

Post by Mykll » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:41 pm

If my work hours keep up I won't be able to play along but I am on the outside curious. I've only played D&D so not used to all these other P&P worlds and rules and what not. I see you have your Discord chat and voice rooms now (aren't these devs awesome?) but what kind of shared software or whatever might you use so everyone can see the dice rolls, etc.?
Computer Specs:
► Show Spoiler

Fallaner

Post by Fallaner » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:06 pm

Eeehhhh... Screw it. I may as well try it out.

0 Experience with D&D Like things... aside from that one time I helped a friend put together a bunch of ideas for his....

So... screw it, sign me up too.

"Sing with me a song, of silence and blood,
The Rain falls, but can't wash away the mud,
Within my ancient dwells, madness and pride,
Can no one, hear my cry?"

I change profile images sometimes.

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:21 pm

I guess I'll participate. If I don't like it, I can always tell Henry to take over, right?
► Show Spoiler

OldFashioned
Consortium Officer

Post by OldFashioned » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:11 am

Historian wrote:I'm thinking the game is set in the early years - on a prototype craft before Stormbird. No PCUs or BUSs, just nanoweave spidersilk kevlar and some skull-cracking as part of a multidiscipline team.

No Seekering. No Guardian Churching. Only hints at that stuff behind the scenes - off comments by the Queen or King, an occasional protest, etc.
Hmm... I don't know, I think it kinda goes against the very fibre of consortium if we boil it down to skullcracking, might as well play anything else sci-fi-y then.
While I personally think it would be hilarious if everyone was a Seeker (Noone would know anyones' names, no clue what's going on in the world, basically a team of time-travelling fish out of water :D ), it could/would also
kinda twist the roleplaying aspect into some uncomforable/boring/confusing shapes (see: mess, charlie foxtrot)
But yeah, background interaction should be kept to a minimum, changing the "canon" is not something we should do (Or is it? :P )

OldFashioned
Consortium Officer

Post by OldFashioned » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:21 am

Vennir wrote:I've played games with similiar mechanics (Baldur's Gate) and have watched others stream Roll20 so I'm fairly versed on the basics. I think we can "cross the bridge when we get to it" this; if someone has a question on what they're supposed to do and such they can feel free too.

Wow what even
I just
You know what? I'm not going to question it. Old Man Henderson is a hero.
If we count the (Bioware's) Baldur's Gate, then I guess I have SOME experience too.. However, most of my p&p knowledge comes from here: http://www.theallguardsmenparty.com/ And I will fiercely suggest it to anyone who will listen to my ramblings :D

FordGT90Concept

Post by FordGT90Concept » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:44 am

Could do a Mass Effect 4. In the universe starting at a specific date but otherwise not related to events. For example, everyone knows of Malcolm Thomas, Guardian Church, and Worldview Industries but players are disconnected from effecting them. They can be members of the Guardian Church or employees of Worldview Industries but not change their known history/future. That way there are no conflicts with existing lore but the created content supplements the lore by fleshing it out (should it be included).
► Show Spoiler

OldFashioned
Consortium Officer

Post by OldFashioned » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:59 am

FordGT90Concept wrote:Could do a Mass Effect 4. In the universe starting at a specific date but otherwise not related to events. For example, everyone knows of Malcolm Thomas, Guardian Church, and Worldview Industries but players are disconnected from effecting them. They can be members of the Guardian Church or employees of Worldview Industries but not change their known history/future. That way there are no conflicts with existing lore but the created content supplements the lore by fleshing it out (should it be included).
That's basically what would be achieved with playing the crew of a so-far-unmentioned and/or only mentioned in name C-3800 (or protoype, if we're going for an earlier point in the timeline), no?