Whispers From The Rift v0.96 is now live. Limited/Exclusive access to Whispers beta is now available via the iDGi Patreon Campaign .

Consortium: The Tower Early Access ALPHA 1.10 is live. Includes all of Act 1 and the beginning of Act 2. 20+ hours of gameplay.

Fanart

Topics and posts about whatever you wish. Please be civil. Major trolls may be banned without notice!
Vennir
Consortium Officer
Flag: Great Britain

Fanart

Post by Vennir » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:55 pm

I've done some fanart (still WIPs) :>
Supposed to be from left to right: R25, R13 (he's smiling 'cause idk someone told him the Guardian Church rocks) R25 again and Waaaade the bae.
I'd love to see more artists in our community at some point~
[Also posted on my tumblr]

Mykll
Flag: United States of America

Re: Fanart

Post by Mykll » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:14 pm

I like it! Cool coloring.
Computer Specs:
► Show Spoiler

diss3cted
Consortium Officer
Flag: Austria

Post by diss3cted » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:09 am

Nicely done! Hope to see more.

Thriesteve
Consortium Administrator

Post by Thriesteve » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:34 am

Nice, these are really cool. "Someone insulted his mother" LoL
---------------------------
-- Steve MacMartin
- head writer @ iDGi

"The creak of bed springs suffering under the weight of a restless man is as lonely a sound as I know" - Patrick DeWitt (Sisters Brothers)

Historian
Flag: United States of America

Post by Historian » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:47 pm

Posted because Lionysus/Vennir asked me to on Twitch. A little draft of a Consortium fanfic.
In the Dragon's Shadow

They called him Bishop Two. He was the best of them. A fun-loving hero in a blue supersuit – battling criminals, saving hostages, and showing the world the beautiful future that the Consortium could build. In a way, it made him predictable – and that was his downfall. Rig a building with a ton of hostages – wait for the Bishop to hop in – and blow the place to kingdom come.

Some call it the greatest tragedy in the history of the Consortium. In an entire month, the Consortium lost nearly the entire crew of the Aether - psychological retirements. Mason Gray's Memorial Service was the final meeting of the C-3800-B's crew. The final meeting of heroes – before they headed off into the night.

All the while, under the watchful eyes of armed guards and skilled technicians, the C-3800-B “Aether” sat alone on a tarmac in the Philippine Air Force City – nestled in a corner as fighter drones whirred gentle tracks over a peaceful countryside. Waiting. Waiting for her new crew to finally be selected.

In a small apartment overlooking Pennsylvania Avenue, it began.

On a small shelf, a holoscreen sprung to life. The blaring alarm of a wallcomm snapped a dark-skinned man from tired rest, shuffling out of his twin bed and growling as he turned the corner. Feet slid across a wood floor to the small mantle, and thumbed the wallcomm's answer with bleary eyes. “This is Congressman Reed.” He grumbled.

“HELLO. CONGRESSMAN?” A distorted frenchwoman's voice answered. Another, a child's, took over: “THIS IS THE CONSORTIUM KING.”

Reed rubbed his eyes, finding the blue globe logo of the Consortium taking up his screen. In big block printing 'Consortium King' stared back at him. 'What the hell?' Tyler Reed thought, as he cleared his throat and stretched slightly. “Uh, hello. Not sure what you're contacting me for – I thought the Queen handled political stuff. Is this about HR-10173?”

“NO.” The King stated, voice cycling again to a deeper man's. “IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT YOU WILL NOT BE RENEWING YOUR TERM IN OFFICE, CONGRESSMAN. MAY I ASK WHY?”

Reed snorted as he shuffled around the room, gradually gathering clothes. He looked at the clock – 5AM, sharp. Felt like the Resource Wars all over again. “I...ah, well, there's a lot to that. I don't know that I really feel like campaigning – what with the wife gone and kids off to school. Marcus is D1 for Hockey. Hear he might get drafted if he gets a little better – and I'm stuck in Washington missing all his games.”

The King was silent a moment, expecting more. Reed finished pulling on a shirt, and started buttoning an oxford he'd finished the night before. “RETIREMENT, THEN? A SHAME. THERE'S A KNIGHT OPENING I'D BEEN CONSIDERING YOU FOR.”

Reed paused, letting the last few buttons hang. “Recruitment?” He asked. “Is that what this is about? I thought there was an application process? Vetting? Speaking to the Queen?”

“DEPENDS ON THE CANDIDATE. I HAVE A FINAL SAY IN PERSONNEL – THE QUEEN HAS A FINAL SAY IN OUR POLITICAL MESSAGES AND HOW SHE MANAGES THOSE PERSONNEL.” The King said. “MY QUESTION IS – ARE YOU WILLING TO MISS YOUR KIDS MORE TO DO MORE FOR THE WORLD?”

Reed paused. He knew why he was really leaving Washington. There hadn't been a point – between the lobbyists and gerrymandering he probably wouldn't have won another election. He didn't have the money. Marcus and Donovan were both far across the country – and if they wanted to see him, he'd have heard from them long ago. At least Maria still called – occasionally. The King probably knew that.

Maybe this was a second chance – keeping him away from that fat-cat suit job that he'd been dreading.

“I'd like to think I could.” Reed said, after thinking. “What'd be involved?”

“IF YOU'RE WILLING – THERE'S AN INTERVIEW PROCESS AT K-1, IN XALAPA. YOU'LL BE BOOKED AT THE WORLDVIEW HOTEL FREE OF CHARGE. AFTER THAT? I'LL PUT YOU THROUGH VIRTUAL TRAINING – BASIC STUFF. THEN COMES YOUR CREW.”

“Crew? I'm going to get a ship? Haven't been in the army for eons.” Reed said, scratching at his unshaven face.

“WE DON'T NEED SOLDIERS. WE NEED DIPLOMATS. DOERS. YOU HAVE A VERY HIGH SUCCESS RATE ON YOUR BILLS. I'D LIKE TO THINK THAT HAD TO DO WITH YOU – NOT THE CONTENT.” The King's woman-voice said.

“Well. Mr. King? You drive a hard bargain.” Reed said. “I have another few months on my term. I don't know when I can soonest make it down there-”

“MAKE ARRANGEMENTS WITH THE LOUISIANA GOVERNOR FOR A REPLACEMENT.” The King said. “WE NEED YOU READY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, KNIGHT. WHAT NUMBER WOULD YOU LIKE?”

Reed paused, lost in thought. “Uh.” He thought a moment, and saw his son's last jersey poking out of his closet. 'REED 9' “Is 9 taken?”

“IT IS NOW, KNIGHT 9. I'LL BE IN TOUCH.”

==

Clark Freeport, Luzon Island

The Philippines

He hadn't expected it to all be so… Blue. Blue halls. Blue hangars. Blue quarters. Blue uniforms. Even the Mission Pods and Bishop's BUS was some variety of Blue. Whoever made blue dye certainly made bank off of the Consortium. With a heavy sigh, Knight 9 zipped up his uniform – leaving a trio of half-unpacked duffels sitting gingerly on his bed. The cramped quarters felt more like home than Washington did – and didn't take long at all to make that happen.

It'd been only three months. Turns out Consortium training didn't take all that long – between Pawn expertise and Rook experience, the ship was well taken after. Familiarization in the VT took several strong weeks – and the rest fell into place over the course of speaking to the King. Basic technical skills would come with practice, learning, and a dearth of reading.

He stared at the invisible screen on his desk with a small moment of nausea. His MUVI had plastered screens all over the walls – covering the window, his cabinet, and that was before you reached the massive web surrounding the Knight's chair. Reed shook his head. “Jesus, Tyler.” He whispered. “What've you gotten yourself into now? Congress was easier than this.”

He didn't do it for the 'easy', though. That was for sure. His door chimed. “Who is it?” He echoed.

“MacClinton, sir.” A scotsman's voice replied. “Rook 6. Reporting as, er, ordered.” Knight 9 reached up with a spread hand, and thumbed an invisible door control. The panel next to his door snapped from red to blue, and the door's three locks whirred to open it.

Rook 6's mop of red hair and almost almond-shaped face lay beyond, bedecked in yet another blue and gold uniform. “Come in, Scotty.”

“Oh, no!” 6 said as he stepped in, worming his way to Reed's guest chair through the piles of personal effects. “I'm not your Scotty. I don't dare try to one-up the original.”

“Hey, if the guy from Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz can be Scotty, I think you're more than qualified.” Reed chuckled, southern drawl stark in contrast. “Anyway – I just wanted to have a chat before the Pawns start arriving. How's Aether? I know we've had a skeleton working the ship over.”

“She's been mostly okay since Long Dragon's attack. The biggest overhaul was around five months ago – back when the Memorial Institute was opening. I ran that one myself – we redid most of the hangar bay and rear to get an upgraded CCU installed, plus added the VT and some upgrades to avionics and the fusion batteries. Weapons were recalibrated. Otherwise, she's mostly the same. Tip-top shape. Dusted off. Crew Quarters was cleaned up totally. Bishop's Cabin had the old BUS disposed of and was cleaned – the new one arrived yesterday.” Rook 6 flew through the basic details of the previous overhauls as Reed looked through the mountains of digital paperwork.

Reed stroked his goatee a moment. “Alright. When's the Bishop getting here? I don't have any word from the Queen on that.”

“Last I knew she was finishing transfer paperwork a week ago. You haven't heard from her? Travel files said she landed in Manila three days ago.” MacClinton said. “Hope she's not getting into trouble.”

Reed shook his head. “Not what I need today.” He said. “Who's aboard right now? Has she dropped anything off, perchance?”

“No. I'd have to have been here – unless Rook 38 let her aboard. She stopped by a little bit today to drop things off – had a date off VR in town she was going to meet.” MacClinton said. “Very… dry, that one. I didn't exactly peg her for human connection, let alone dating.”

“Hey.” Reed said, looking up from his invisible MUVI screen. He jabbed a finger at Rook 6. “Whether I agree is yet to be seen – but it's still not conducive to the ship for us to talk about the other Rooks like that.”

“Aye, sir. Rook 17 will be here tomorrow – had a final handoff lecture for her replacement at university this morning. Pawns 3, 99, 90, 88, and 35 are aboard. The rest will arrive in the next 3 days. 88's been part of the skeleton for awhile. 90's prepping the med bay for Rook 17. 99 – well, I don't think Aziz has a family. He was looking for an excuse to get out of the heat. 3's just close to home – itching to get to work.”

“What about 35?” Reed asked. “His interview's redacted on the computer.”

MacClinton chuckled, leaning back in his seat. “There's a story you'll have to find out for yourself – Mr. Wales doesn't like to talk about his family much. Smart lad – trying to do right by his Dad with Search & Rescue.”

“Wait – Wales? SAR?” Reed sat back for a moment, face scrunched in thought. “Are you saying-”

“Mhm. I hear inheritance is a bitch.” MacClinton said. “Lad's a good kid. Works hard. Tries to get out from under the yolk.”

Reed nodded. “Alright then.” He said, standing. “The Queen should be here in an hour. Minimal press and a short tour of the ship. What Pawns are around can do press if they want – otherwise they're free to get in a little work then take the night. If you have time – look into where the hell our Bishop went, hmm?”

“Aye, sir.” MacClinton said. “After all – what trouble could a former cop possibly get into in downtown Manila?” They shared a look, and both of them swiped open a MUVI window. On the monitor, a flaming column was rising in the depths of Manila – the Port Area on fire. Knight 9's heart skipped a beat as he read the headline – 'SHADOW OF THE LONG DRAGON?' hung in all caps. Manila was burning – and there was someone to blame.

A bleeping noise brought both of them out of their sudden stupor – and Reed pressed the button on his desk. A box with six eyes stared at them both, warbling in holographic form. “HELLO.” The King said. “THE QUEEN IS CURRENTLY ASLEEP. I WILL BRIEF HER IN TWO HOURS WHEN SHE AWAKENS PRIOR TO LANDING. SHE NEEDS HER REST.”

A beat.

“You don't expect-” MacClinton said, before the King cut him off.

“I HAVE READ YOUR REPORTS, ROOK 6. I KNOW AETHER'S CONDITION. IT IS SUFFICIENT TO PREPARE FOR LAUNCH – AND SUFFICIENT TO FLY UNDER SKELETAL STAFFING.”

The box turned toward Reed. “KNIGHT, THIS WILL BE YOUR FIRST FORMAL MISSION. UNDERCREWED. UNDERSTAFFED. GET INTO MANILA AND AID LOCAL AUTHORITIES AS THEY REQUEST. FIND YOUR BISHOP AND ROOK – AND GET THEM ABOARD. THERE'S WORK TO BE DONE.”

Vennir
Consortium Officer

Post by Vennir » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:04 pm

Thank you all for the kind comments *o* It really inspires me!
I've done more, but I'm not sure whether to edit it into my first post or just keep it on my tumblr (some of my stuff is fandom-y and people seem to be adverse to that here lol).

Historian wrote:Posted because Lionysus/Vennir asked me to on Twitch. A little draft of a Consortium fanfic.
In the Dragon's Shadow

[...]
Love it! It's a good draft. If you ever flesh and finish it please tell me; I'd love to read it.

GreatBird
Consortium Administrator
Flag: Canada

Post by GreatBird » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:25 pm

Historian: wow!! I loved reading that. It truly sounds authentic...... hmmm.... Well done.
Do, or do not. There is no try.

-- GreatBird --

patrickmartinez
Consortium Officer
Flag: United Arab Emirates

Post by patrickmartinez » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:14 pm

You sure have a great hand mate

Vennir
Consortium Officer